We provide an innovative and quality educational program for primary students in a co-educational setting from Foundation to Year 6.
The diverse range of backgrounds, experiences, interests, learning styles and social and academic competencies that comprise our student population makes our school a rich and varied place of learning.
We aim to cater through our strong classroom curriculum programs, supplemented by our individual student programs, for the competencies of each student, whilst upholding the special traditions and values of an Ivanhoe Grammar School education.
From Foundation through to Year 6, teachers at both Primary Campuses of Ivanhoe Grammar School work together to develop a creative, cohesive and sequential program that reflects current research of an understanding of how children best learn.
Our teachers have strong professional knowledge with classroom programs differentiated to cater for individual needs. Students enjoy the challenge of learning and love to learn.
There is a strong emphasis on the teaching and learning of literacy and numeracy.
Core Subjects include:
English – Oral Language, Reading, Writing, Spelling, Grammar and Handwriting
Mathematics – Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, Statistics and Probability
- Science –Physical, Environmental, Biological
- Civics and Citizenship
We employ an integrated curriculum approach, where learning is enhanced by natural links between the key learning areas.
This is complemented by a specialist program in:
- Visual Arts
- Music/Instrumental Music Program
- Performing Arts
Languages other than English
- French from Foundation to Year 6
- Chinese (Mandarin) from Grade 5, in addition to French
- From 2018 students in Grade 6 will learn Chinese (Mandarin), in addition to French
Science – A specialist Science facility
eLearning plays an important role in the curriculum and is used to enhance teaching and learning in all subject areas.
A one to one iPad program commences in Year 5.
Monitoring and Assessment of Student Progress
Ongoing and thorough monitoring and assessment of student progress helps to provide learning programs that are based on individual student needs and their different learning styles.
Support and Enrichment
Specialised programs are available to cater for students at Ivanhoe Grammar School who have particular needs. These programs occur within the classroom or in small withdrawal groups. Students are selected for these programs through a process of comprehensive assessment.
- Literacy Support Programs
- Mathematics Support Programs
- ESL Programs
- School counsellors are available to provide emotional support to students and parents
- Literacy Enrichment - Years 3 to 6
- Mathematics Enrichment - Year 3 to 4
- Mathematics Olympiad - Year 5 and Year 6
- GATEWAYS Programs - Year 1 to Year 6
- University of New South Wales Competitions - Year 3 to 6